South Carolina residents who are at least 60 years old are eligible for the state’s free tuition program.
South Carolina state law (59-111-320) authorizes USC Aiken to permit SC residents at least sixty years of age to attend classes without the payment of tuition, on a space-available basis, provided that such persons meet admission and other standards deemed appropriate by the university.
Fees Not Included in Free Tuition
Application fees, technology fees, lab fees, matriculation fees, and programs fees, etc. are not exempt and must be paid by the student.
You qualify for free tuition if:
- You are 60 years old or older
- You have been a South Carolina Resident for at least 12 months
- You are admitted to USC Aiken
- You are Not Working Full Time
How to Apply
- Submit an Application. If you are not currently enrolled as a student at USC Aiken, you will need to review the requirements and apply through the Office of Admissions. If you have any questions about the application process, you can call the Office of Admissions at (803) 641-3366. Applications and all supporting documents for fall semester must be submitted by July 1 and for spring semester by December 1.
- Receive your VIP ID and USC ID. Once accepted you will receive these numbers in your acceptance packets. Please use these numbers to set up your Self Service Carolina Account and your Student Email Account.
- Verify your Citizenship Status. Check to see if your status has already been verified by reviewing your Citizenship Status in the Student Profile section of Self-Service Carolina. If your citizenship status is non-verified, you will need to submit the Citizenship Verification Form and appropriate documentation.
- Complete the Senior Citizen Tuition Waiver Form. This form can be found here.
- Maintain active student status. It is your responsibility to maintain active status as a USC Aiken student. If you miss a fall or spring semester, you will become an inactive student in the University's system. You must re-apply for admission and pay the application fee before you complete the Senior Citizen Tuition Waiver Form. Applications and all supporting documents for fall semester must be submitted by July 1 and for spring semester by December 1.
Registration for senior citizens is no earlier than the first day of classes, on a space-available basis.
The Office of the Registrar will use the Senior Citizen Tuition Waiver to complete your course registration.