Students walking away from Penland


Business Services

Student Accounts

What is a student account?

  • It is an accounts receivable account where all individual student financial transactions within the University are maintained.

If a financial hold is placed on my records, how do I get it released?

  • Contact the Business Services office (803-641-3543) to make arrangements to satisfy the conditions of the hold obligation.

How do I change my meal plan or cash card?

  • If you live on campus, contact University Housing. Commuter students should contact the Business Services office, Room 114, in the Penland Administration Building.

How do I find out more about the student loan interest deduction and other requirements or conditions that may apply to me?

  • As always, you should contact your tax advisor for guidance. However, you can obtain complete information about this deduction in IRS publication 970, “Tax Benefits for Higher Education.” This publication is available from your local IRS office and may also be downloaded from the IRS website. The U.S. Department of Education’s website also provides some information about this deduction.

Financial Aid, Scholarships, and Work-Study Awards

I have a work-study award. Can I apply this to my bill?

  • Work-study funds are dependent upon the student securing and working in an on-campus job during the semester, and are disbursed as compensation for hours worked. Because of their work-related nature, work-study awards cannot be applied to pay the bill.

What is an refund check?

  • In some cases, students receive financial aid awards (loan, scholarships, and grants) that exceed the cost of tuition, fees, housing, and meals. Students receive the excess funds from the University. These funds are often used to pay for books and other materials. We highly recommend that students who are expecting a refund sign up for direct deposit through SSC.

When can I expect my refund check?

  • Federal regulations dictate when funds can be released. Checks will be directly deposited or mailed as authorized by the student. Checks may not be picked up.

I have questions about loans and scholarships. Who do I talk to?

  • You may contact the Financial Aid Office, Room 102, in the Penland Building. You can also reach them by phone at 803-641-3476 or email them at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Bills and Payments

Will I get a bill?

  • We do not mail bills. You can view, print, or pay your bill by logging on to SSC.

Can I pay my charges without a bill?

  • Yes. Fees and charges may be paid via SSC or in person at the Business Services office (Penland Building, Room 114). Fees can be paid by mailing your payment directly to the Business Services office by the stated cut-off date. Please identify all correspondence and checks with your student number.

What does ‘process my bill’ mean?

  • To process the bill means to complete the registration process by paying the bill. You can process the bill in one of several ways:
    • If you have sufficient financial aid to cover your charges: If your bill indicates there is no balance due, your bill is processed.
    • Either you have no financial aid or not enough to cover your entire bill: You need to pay your remaining balance. This can be done online through SSC with a credit card or debit card (MasterCard, VISA, Discover, American Express) or a personal check (e-check). You may also pay in person with a check or cash in the Business Services office. We do not accept credit or debit cards in the office. You may also send a check by mail to: 
      USCA Business Services Office
      471 University Parkway
      Aiken, SC 29801
  • If you need a payment plan: This can only be done in person by the student in the Business Services office or on SSC.

What happens if my bill is not processed by the due date?

  • Your classes will be cancelled.

Can someone else process my bill?

  • You can allow someone else to process your bill if you give him/her access to your SSC account, or print a copy of the bill for him/her to bring and pay in person.

How can my grandmother pay my bill? Will you tell her how much I owe?

  • You can provide others (parents, grandparents, etc) with access to your account through SSC. We generally disclose account balances only to the student.

Does USC Aiken have a payment plan for tuition and fees?

  • The four payment plan can include tuition, fees, housing, and meal plans. Books cannot be included in the plan. The initial payment is 25% of the balance after all available financial aid has been applied, plus a $75 administrative fee. The remaining balance is split into three equal payments. In order to set up the plan, the student may go through SSC with a credit or debit card (MasterCard, VISA, American Express, Discover) or personal check. Payments of cash or check may also be accepted in the Business Services office.

What happens if I have not received enough (or any) financial aid by the bill due date?

  • You and/or your family will need to use personal resources to pay the balance.

Do you accept credit cards for payments of charges?

  • Only on SSC are credit/debit cards (MasterCard, VISA, Discover, American Express) accepted. There is a convenience fee of 2.5% associated with all credit cards.

Who can I contact about payments?

  • You may visit the Business Services office in Room 114 of the Penland Building or call 803-341-3543. You may also email us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.


If I drop a class or withdraw from the University, how do I get my refund?

  • Academic refunds are automatically refunded to you and mailed to your permanent address. Please allow 3-4 weeks after the first day of classes to receive a refund check. The most rapid means of receiving refunds that are to be refunded to the student is via direct deposit. All direct deposits are set up online through the Self Service Carolina portal. Financial aid students, please remember all refunds must be applied to the financial aid sources first.

What is the web fee payment system (SSC)?

  • You now have the option of paying your fees online. Web fee payment requires that you have sufficient financial aid to cover your fees, or that you pay by electronic check or credit card (MasterCard, VISA Discover, American Express), or a combination of both. We encourage students to take advantage of this payment method. To access fee payment online, visit
  • More SSC help can be found here